Sunday, March 08, 2009

Merlin.

I watched this new series, Merlin. I love Colin Morgan. He’s DROP-DEAD hot! He got this cute face when he talks, I would go like, OMG!!!!! Bradley James is also freaking charming. Legendary kings are always hot – except for Alexander the Great because he was a renowned bisexual and bisexuals are absolutely turn-offs (for me, at least)! So I bought the DVD set. (yeah, I’m out of my mind, got so many DVD boxes inside my room already, still want to add mess. I supposed to premium my Tibia but no, I buy this set instead. I rather sit and watch my beloved DVD, at the same time chat with my mate – lots of fun, than play tibia the whole day with no one – boring!)

People who know me will know how much I love myths, legends, kingdom thingies, magic, spells, chants, charms, those medieval eras, castles, and ancient languages, and thy list goes on. So, this series really caught my attention. Plus, its UK, I am crazy about their accent. SEXY!




Colin Morgan as Merlin,When Merlin casts his spells, his eyes will glow. Like this:



Bradley James as Arthur,And Arthur. He’s CUTE!


Katie McGrath as Morgana,
(Morgana’s eyes fit to be wicked.)

Angel Coulby as Gwen,


Richard Wilson as Gaius,
Anthony Head as Uther Pendragon.



The series always began by the voice of the great dragon, (voice by John Hurt):

"In the land of myth and the time of magic, the destiny of a great kingdom rests on


a shoulder of a young boy, his name: Merlin!"
And the journey continues.

Eh, but! There’s buts.

I thought Merlin was the one who was responsible for Arthur’s birth. He used his magic to transform Uther Pendragon to look exactly like Duke Gorlois of Cornwall (or some said Hoel of Tintagel) then he made love to Igraine during the Duke’s absence. Igraine was the wife of the Duke, so when Gorlois return, Uther killed Gorlois.

Lady Morgana, wasn’t she believed to be Arthur’s step-sister? It has been said, Morgana or Morgan le Fay is wicked. In Gerald of Wales' work called Tour of Wales (1188), the scholar wrote that Morgan was Arthur's cousin. In any myth that I have been read, she was related to Arthur, whether she’s his sister or cousin. In this series, Morgana is Arthur’s fiancée?

And Guinevere, or Gwen, is Arthur’s wife. How come in the series, Gwen likes Merlin? (It’s obvious, duh! She kissed Merlin in front of Gaius when Merlin was saved from the verge of death.)

And where’s the famous Excalibur? It also has been said that Arthur pulled a magic sword from Avalon at his young age, thus proved that Arthur was the true and rightful king of Britain. But in the series, where is the sword? I haven’t seen any magical sparkling-extraordinary-glowing-and-talking sword except the ordinary-non-shining-metal-but-very-sharp-indeed sword.

And about Nimueh that Uther Pendragon feared the most in the series, wasn’t she supposed to be Merlin’s student who later changed to lover? Isn’t she the one who is responsible for Merlin’s death?

I read Welsh Traditions, and some myth sites about King Arthur BEFORE I watch this series so I’m a bit confused. However, I’ll continue to watch Merlin for his cute face and very charismatic prince Arthur.


























0 comments:

Post a Comment